Thursday, March 15, 2012

VE session

Here in the US amateur radio license exams are given by trained volunteer examiners (VE's). I am new to Northeast Penn, so was not connected in with the local examiners, but I am a member of the MURGAS club and when a cry came out for an Extra Class examiner in nearby Scranton, I took up the challenge. I have not participated in an exam session since 2006, so I thought I would be rusty. Fortunately it all came back to me fairly quickly.

We have four candidates show up for the exam. Three were trying to obtain their license (Tech class) and one was attempting to upgrade to Extra (hence the need for me).

I am happy to report the W3ATS aquired his Extra license with no problem, while the other four candidates were able to pass their tech exams and earned their licenses. I just wish that there were more young people looking to get licensed. None of the new licensees were younger than 30, and two were in their 60's and 70's. We need to figure out a way to get the youth more involved.

73
Jeremy N1ZZZ

No comments:

Post a Comment